Sunday 26 February 2017

Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden Kai (George) by RON CLINE pt.2

And here's the finished build. The aircraft represents the one flown by Warrant Officer Ohara Hiroshi of the 343rd Kokutai, 407th Hikotai, the "Tenchugumi" (Heavenly Punishment Unit) out of Omura Airbase, Japan, in April 1945. All of the markings except for the Japanese stenciling (from the kit decals) are painted on, using masks from Makatar. The green was a home brewed mix of Model Master Euro One Green and Insignia Blue. I didn't document the ratio of green to blue, but I'd ballpark it as roughly 2:1 ~ 3:1. I do have some of Mr. Color's Kawanishi Green, but I wasn't sure I had enough, so I mixed mine to a close match to it. I broke up the monochromatic tone with indivual panels painted with the original green mixture altered by adding some MM Marker Yellow or MM RLM 78 Hellblau. The undersides are Tamiya AS12 Bare Metal Silver with darker panels done with Alclad Duraluminum. Smaller panels were done with various silvers.
 The yellow leading edges and the tail codes are Tamiya Camel Yellow, the fuselage band is Tamiya Fine White Primer, and the Hinomarus are Mr. Color.
 I based my weathering on the profile art of this aircraft in Kagero's 'Fighters over Japan Part 2'; their rendering of it might not be 100% accurate, but I liked it and went with it. The silver chipping was done with Vallejo's Metal Color Aluminum, the green chipping was the overall green mixture, and the scratches were done with watercolor pencils. The exhaust and gun blast stains are MIG pigments, and the oil streaking was done with watercolors.
 The cannon barrels are from Master, and the antenna wire is Uschi's fine elastic rigging thread. The fresh air scoop at the base of the windscreen was done with soda can aluminum.
 I'll start with late-to-the-party engine pics:

 


 




 


 


 


 


 




 

3 comments:

Honza78 said...

Amazing work.

D. Chouinard said...

Really nice! I always thought the Shiden Kai looked like a tough, no nonsense aircraft. Interested to know about the use of watercolor for making the oil streaks. I have plenty of art materials, so it's nice to know they can do double duty. I also like the detailing, it adds to the overall effect!

Fluffy said...

Heavenly Punishment Unit. I love that. I love your build even more :)

-Fluffy