Nakajima Ki-43 "Hayabusa" (Oscar)

Thursday, 20 April 2017

Japanese Aircraft Online Model Contest 004 - MICHAEL FURRY

1/48 Nichimo Ki-43-1 Oscar. The Nichimo Oscar has been around since the 1970's and in my opinion is the best Ki-43-1 kit to date. While out of production, they are quite easy to find on the model show circuit. I made some minor improvements to the cockpit, this biggest is cutting the front of the floor off and flipping this piece upside down to raise the cockpit floor, otherwise it is quite deep. I also replaced the kits oversized instrument panels with a resin copy from Hasegawa Ki-43-1. The kit is one of the best fitting kits I have built and this lends to rather quick construction. Since the kit has wonderful exterior detailing, it lends itself quite nicely to a bare metal finish. There is a slight pebbly texture to the parts that some may want to polish off, I chose not to. I painted the model in a few light coats of Floquil Old Silver. After letting this dry for a few days I began to buff and polish the paint with pencil graphite, SNJ aluminum buffing powder, and brown chalk pastel. I plan to have the kit completed for the May contest deadline.
 
Michael Furry - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA




3 comments:

Michael Thurow said...

Hi Michael,

I see you prepared an opening on the left leading edge - for a landing light? Be aware that the -I didn't have one.

Otherwise your model looks great so far.

Michael Thurow

D. Chouinard said...

Really like the weathered aluminum effect! I wouldn't mind trying the technique you are using. (Being an artist, I have plenty of pencils, thus plenty of graphite!)Can't wait to see the finished product!

Michael Furry said...

Regarding the landing light slot, it is molded in the kit, I didn't open it. The model is a production transition aircraft. The pilots welcome the landing light since it helps make the aircraft more visible when operating near the airbase and reduces the potential for mid-air collisions.

Michael Furry